Friday, July 06, 2012

Renowned Japanese singer visits namesake Orang Utan at Sepilok


SANDAKAN: Mariko, the 24-year-old Orang Utan at the Sepilok Rehabilitation Centre received a special visit by renowned Japanese singer and songwriter, Hatta Mariko, yesterday.

According to Hatta Mariko, she first visited Mariko last year after she knew they shared the same name.

“The first time I knew there is an Orang Utan named Mariko was three years ago and I am happy to know that because I’m interested in the species since I was a child.

“Upon knowing there is a Mariko here, I wrote a song entitled “My name is Mariko” and dedicated it to the Orang Utan,” she said when met yesterday at the Sepilok Rehabilitation Centre.

“The idea to write the song came as I heard the Orang Utan population is on the decline and the animal has become an endangered species,” says Mariko.

“I hope my song creates an awareness for all of us to protect our habitat, not only the Orang Utan but also other animals,” she said adding that Mariko’s sister has also the same name with her sister, Noriko.

.
.