Monday, July 20, 2015

Borneo: The oldest rain forest in the world - part one


About two months ago now I embarked on an adventure I had been anticipating since I was a young child- going to the Bornean Rain forest!

Due to my passion for animals, and one in particular- the Orang-Utan, I had always wanted to go to Borneo, home to the oldest Rain forest in the world which has many endangered species inhabited there such as the Bornean Orang-Utan, the False Gharial, the sun Bear, many species of Gibbon etc….

I decided to spend six weeks in Borneo, I travelled around with my grandfather for the first two weeks where we mostly did sight seeing and then for the next four weeks, I alone went on to volunteer at the Matang Wildlife Center in Kuching.

It was the most amazing experience of my life and I highly recommend going if you are a nature lover!

In the first two weeks my Grandfather and I went to some wonderful places; we visited the Gomantong Caves which are the largest Bat caves in Borneo, also home to the Swiftlets who’s nests are used to make Birds Nest Soup (a very profitable market as it happens)!

We also went to Sepilok Orang-Utan Sanctuary (which I later found out to be highly unethical), Borneo Reef World in Kota Kinabalu where we snorkeled and did an underwater walk with special helmets and many other wonderful things!

We then went a little way up Mount Kinabalu, a very special mountain to the locals that live in and around Kota Kinabalu.

It is known for its summit being surrounded by clouds for most of the day- the locals believe that this mountain is protected by Gods and the Clouds around the top almost make it the equivalent of Heaven.

.
.